Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Meet the Cast: Lauren Maugeri (Miss Casswell)


I sat in a tiny, old creaky seat, looking over the wooden balcony, telling myself to take in and remember everything I could. I looked at costumes, the set, the actors. I listened intently to their lines, their delivery, their actions.  I studied one character in particular, because, well, she is the character I will portray in September.  And when I got home, and returned to rehearsal at 1010 Waube Lane, images and sounds came back to me.  And I used my experience and shared my experience to help inspire me and my castmates and director.

On Friday, August 9th at 7:30, I was at the St. Martin’s Theatre, West Street, London, England.  I watched the 25,300th show of The Mousetrap, the longest running play in history. This might sound funny, but my first reaction was critical, thinking to myself, I think we do that a bit better.  Maybe it’s because in the short amount of time we’ve been rehearsing, I’ve seen my fellow actors’ characters brought to life already, and I got used to their portrayal.  And already fallen in love with all of them.

At rehearsal this week, as a group, we had a discussion about my character, Miss Casewell.  We all had different perspectives, ideas, and thoughts on her.  My director, Craig Berken, told me in the end it was up to me to find my character, and to know my character better than anyone.

Lauren reviewing lines.
When I watched the actress on stage say the lines I am working on memorizing, I learned new things about my character.  Seeing her portray Miss Casewell a bit differently than I do, helped me cement my vision of my character.  I became more sure of myself.  All the ideas, whether on a stage in London, from my castmates, director, assistant director and shadow director, or from my family and friends who help me rehearse, or from within my own heart and mind, are all a part of finding my Miss Casewell.

There is still lots of work ahead, and I am looking forward to all of it.  And just like in life, I will bring all my experiences, knowledge, inspiration, and energy, to do the best I can do.  In the end, all the different perspectives and interpretations of the actors and audience is what makes theater so great.
            


Tickets are on sale now thru the St. Norbert Box Office, 920-403-3950 

No comments:

Post a Comment

And what do you think? We would love for you to join the discussion!